When you have the team at Tailor Decks build a deck for you, your deck should last a long time. However, that requires some simple maintenance. If you follow these helpful maintenance tips, you can ensure the longevity of your deck:
- Apply floor protecting pads to the feet of your furniture. This helps to prevent scuffing, scratching, and leaving black marks on your floor.
- If you place a grill on your deck, be sure to place a heat resistant pan beneath your grill.
- Don’t allow leaves or other debris to collect and pile up on your floors. It will cause excess moisture exposure to your deck boards. This will cause mold or mildew build up.
- Remove debris between your deck boards with a putty knife, especially where your deck board crosses over the frame joist. This helps prevent frame joist from rotting.
- Keep your gutters clean from buildup. Not doing so can result in back flow of water, which can then access the underneath of your shingles and cause your facia boards to rot.
- If your project begins to appear dirty and a simple rinse with a water hose isn’t doing the job, you may use a mild Dawn dish washing liquid.
- Maintain your foliage around your project, preventing it from making contact. This helps with mildew prevention and makes maintaining easier.
- We recommend that you clean, brighten, and re-stain your project 12 months after the initial staining: and then every 2 years thereafter. In extreme sun exposure locations, the recommendation is every 12 months.
- We recommend using an oil-based sealer, which penetrates the wood more deeply than a water based sealer.
- To clean your screens: use a mild, all-purpose cleaner with a soft scrub/ utility brush, cleaning the screen mesh and frames. Rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry.
If you don’t have the time (or energy) to clean your deck on your own, our team can help. We offer a deck maintenance service on an annual and bi-annual schedule. Get in touch with a member of our team today by calling 770-725-4646. We service Athens, Lawrenceville, Dacula, Winder, Watkinsville, Greensboro, Lawrenceville, Hartwell, Gainesville, Oakwood, Norcross, Flowery Branch, Auburn, Barrow County, Bishop, Bogart, Clarke County, Jackson County, Jefferson, Monroe, Oconee County, Hall County, Statham, and Walton County.
For more information on the services that we provide, be sure to check out our services page.
Don’t forget to read last week’s blog post: Good isn’t Cheap. Be sure to take a look at our Facebook page and YouTube channel too.